Video on demand (VOD) is a media distribution system that allows users to access videos without a video playback device and the limitations of a typical static broadcasting schedule.
There are several types of VOD:
- Transactional (paying for each piece of VOD);
- Premium (access VOD content earlier);
- Push VOD (preloading VODs to the viewer's set-top box);
- Advertising VOD (uses an advertising-based revenue model);
- Near VOD (multiple copies of a piece of content are broadcast at short time intervals);
- Subscription VOD (uses a subscription business model: subscribers are charged a regular fee to access unlimited programs).